Sunday, August 18, 2013

Hurry Up and Wait...and Wait...and Wait

Upon returning home from our Ikea / Pet Adoption adventure, we were exhausted but anxious to begin THE PROJECT.  Sunday afternoon Tommy put the drawer units together that are to act as the bases for my new sewing table.  Oh my mercy me, what a difference.  See for yourself.


New machine, new table, old / new serger that I finally took out of the box.

 

The machine is my fortieth wedding present from Tommy.  Our anniversary is not until December, but as I mentioned in the last post, Tommy is always early. One day at lunch a month or so ago, he said that he would like for me to start thinking about what I would like for our anniversary.  He mentioned several pieces of uninteresting jewelry, and finalized his offer with, "Or, you may just want to replace your engagement ring with a bigger diamond.  I know how you have always admired your friend's (whose name I will withhold)."  At one point in my life I suppose I did admire her megalithic ring, but that was before I discovered really expensive sewing machines. My response to Tommy's offer was instinctive and immediate, "What the heck would I do with another diamond?  I like the one you gave me forty years ago.  I want a sewing machine!"  Done.  I threw my arms around that man and kissed him right in the mouth--not just a peck either. 
     On Monday morning, Sara called very early and said for Nurse Nana to starch her cap, find her white hose, and polish her Clinic shoes.  Retirement affords me the opportunity to give my sick granddaughter tender loving care at home when she is puny.  I picked her up and brought her home with me.  Flo Nightingale could not have done better.  At the end of day two, she was miraculously healed and returned home.  I packed away my nursing regalia and went to bed with dreams of working in the sewing room the next morning.  Have you ever noticed how virulent little people germs are?  Sick Wednesday.  Sewing room must wait.  Sick Thursday.  Sewing room must wait.  Jello-legs-from-being-sick Friday.  Sewing room must wait.  But alas, the weekend heralds the arrival of my own personal Mr. Fix-It.  With drill and screwdriver in hand, Tommy went straight to work and as of today, he has completed the cutting table and installed all the Stolen system units that we were able to purchase at Ikea.  Still waiting for the Atlanta store to get more shelves and clothes hanging bars.  Sewing room must wait.  May have to go to Charlotte.  I have moved almost all my sewing belongings out into the living room.  I will stage the re-entry from there.  In the meantime, I have begun filling the drawers and shelves that I do have.  There are numerous "shiftabouts" involved in sewing room renovation.  I hope you will stop by in a day or two to see my progress.  Until then, as always gentle reader, be kind and take joy.

Love my new trestle cutting table. 
 
Awesome.  Cannot wait for remaining pieces to arrive.

2 comments:

  1. I'm looking forward to hearing which units you bought and how you decide to store things. I so desperately need better organization in my sewing room. It's frustrating to work in there. Pattern and fabric storage are two areas that it seems we all are constantly questioning and rethinking...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your new BERNINA!!! Do you need a comfy rolling chair for your BERNINA?

    ReplyDelete