Tuesday, August 27, 2013

The Results Are In!

I would like to thank all 81 of you who took the time to complete the children's pattern survey that I posted last week.  Anytime someone asks you to do something like this survey, it takes valuable "life minutes," and that does not escape me.  My philosophy of life is simple:  Life is a nonrenewable resource.  By responding to my survey, you honored me with the greatest of all contributions.  Having said that, let me also say that this was in no way a scientific or even highly accurately designed or analyzed survey instrument.  It was more one friend asking another's opinion.  The results that I want to share with you are just that--results.  I will make no effort to analyze what those results mean or what impact they may have on your consumerism.  Nor do the results in any way endorse any patternmaker's production decisions.  Each designer must ultimately decide how she wants to design, produce, and market her work.  I wanted your expert advice, and you graciously gave me that.  Again, thank you.
     The first question revealed what I had essentially decided on my own.  You advised me to take the Mary Claire dress up to a Size 6.  Like you, I feel the design might very well look inappropriate in any larger size.
     Question 2 asked about pattern printing, stacked (multi-size) vs. separate pattern pieces for each size.  You really like having separate pieces for each size.  In fact, the separate piece format beat stacked and no preference combined by about a third.  This really surprised me, as quite a few companies use the stacked format.  I even used it on the original versions of my patterns.  It is obviously cheaper to produce stacked.  I believe that I resolved in my mind the disconnect between your response to this question and the abundance of stacked patterns when I read the results to Question 7.  Stay tuned.
     Question 3 dealt with tissue color for patterns.  Well, you could not care less!  Overwhelmingly, you responded that the color of the tissue did not matter.  That will be good news to many patternmakers, as white tissue is more expensive.
     Question 4 asked you how you like to see the design represented on the cover of the pattern.  The results here were not so clear cut.  A clear line drawing and photograph were dead even.  Very few respondents selected the color sketch.  This question did not allow for comments, but quite a few of you referred to the graphic representation of the design in the next question.
     Question 5 polled your preferences for information given either on the back of the pattern (or inside on the guide sheet, as some of you mentioned). The question assumed that yardage and notion requirements would be given.  The highest rated additional requirements were text description of the garment, back view line drawing, and finished garment measurements. However, there were more feedback comments here than on any other question.  Your additional comments were:
  • More precise yardage calculations, stating that some patterns required the same yardage for baby and children's sizes.
  • Additional yardage information for longer and shorter versions.  (I see this rather consistently on all patterns that feature long and short versions, so I assume this commentator is referring to suggested information if the pattern is altered in some way. Tea length vs. regular length.  Not sure.)
  • Size chart with measurements used by the pattern company to produce their patterns shown somewhere within the pattern package.
  • I did have a couple of comments in favor of metric equivalents, mostly from our overseas sewing friends.  Being a science nerd, I almost always think in metric terms and just convert in my head.  However, it never dawned on me as I was producing my patterns that they would ever make it across either "pond!"  I do know that as we progress toward a more global economy, that our universities and fashion institutions are using metric units in their instruction.  I think it will be interesting to follow the new generation of designers to see how they handle the battle of the measurement systems!
  • A couple of comments on this question related back to Question 4, as to the illustration of the garment.  Some respondents said that a line drawing should be included on the guide (instruction) sheet if the pattern cover was photographic. Several of you indicated that if the pattern illustration was photographic, that the photo needed to show the garment being worn by a child to show drape, fit, fullness, proportion, and wearability.  (I wondered if it ever looks the same on any two children...hmmm.)  Wow!  You gals thought of things that never dawned on me.
     Question 6 was another toss up.  Fifty percent of you would pay more for all sizes in one package, and the other half of you would prefer to pay less for a narrower size range.  I will have to think on that one. 
     Question 7 was perhaps the most revealing query for me.  The reason that I included this question is that it has always puzzled me as to why some companies who design for our sewing niche succeed and others do not.  So here is what you told me about your pattern buying history. The design/style itself was your overwhelming indicator for purchasing patterns.  This was so strongly indicated that I decided that it did not make a hill of beans whether it was on brown or white, stacked or not, if you like the style, you buy it.  Over 90% of you selected this indicator!  That explains a lot.  Coming in tied for second were clear instructions and consistent fit, at around 80% each.  The next leading indicator was previous experience with a certain pattern company--if you got good results with a company's patterns you went back for more.  The other choices were insignificant ranging from around two to five percent.
     Finally, Question 8 asked what type of patterns you would like to see produced in the future.  This question also allowed for comments, which focused almost exclusively on special populations such as tweens, fluffy (chunky) body shapes and extended sizes up to size 16 in classic tasteful (or as you put it "not trendy or trashy") styles.  I remember how hard it was to dress my middle school daughters, and about every other morning their dad--the dress code enforcement officer--sent them back to their rooms for a "wardrobe adjustment!"  I hear your pain.  I was a fluffy child until I hit high school.  My mama was a genius at camouflage for the less than perfect body.  For that reason, I went back into her box of '40s and '50s patterns to see what she made for me.  I have a number of these old patterns on my idea board in the sewing room for inspiration.  The best way that I can think of to show you the other results for this question is just to list your preferences, so here they are.

Design Theme 
% choosing
Classic styles       
93.44
Girl styles              
68.85
Play clothes           
57.38
Baby                      
55.74
Boy                        
54.10
Special occasion  
54.10
Coats /outerwear      
42.60
Tailored garments  
36.00
Sleepwear
34.40
Tween
29.56
Contemporary/trendy
27.85
More challenging (skill level)
26.24
Underwear
11.49 
Deconstructed
 6.56
Easier (skill level)
 6.56

So, there you have it.  Your responses have certainly informed my future plans.  After all, you are indeed the experts.  Have a sensational week, seek truth, be kind and take joy!

1 comment:

  1. Kathy, Thank you so much for the delightful and informative presentation of your results. It was great for hear stitcher's interest.

    ReplyDelete